Set Sail For Adventure!
Before you can begin your game of Catan, you will need to collect the various parts and pieces.
|Game(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A standalone version of Settlers of Catan, which can be played right out of the box without making additional purchases. There is only one standalone (base) game of Catan.|
|Expansion(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. An Catan game that cannot be played by itself. It must be used in conjunction with a standalone (base) game. The 5 & 6-player expansions such as Seafarers are a good example of this. Most expansions are issued officially from Catan, but some are unofficial releases by fans.|
|Scenario(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A small set of playing pieces and instructions that can be added to normal Catan gameplay. It cannot be played by itself--it must be used in conjunction with a standalone (base) game. The Oil Springs scenario is a good example of this. Most scenarios are issued officially from or in conjunction with Catan, but some are third-party releases by fans.|
|Variant(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A set of instructions for using the pieces from a Catan game or expansion in a new way. Most variants are fan-generated and require printing and cutting out new pieces.|
|Spin-Off(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A game published with the permission of Catan Gmbh, featuring significant differences from games in the original line of Settlers of Catan games. In general, this type of game features similar game mechanics to the original line of game, but has a different theme. Game of Thrones Catan is a good example of this. In other cases, this type of game has the same theme as the original line of games, but features different game mechanics. Rivals for Catan and The Catan Dice Game are good examples of this.|
|Compatible:||Adjective. The quality of a game, expansion, scenario, variant, or spin-off to work well with the original Settlers of Catan games. Incompatibility may arise from the game mechanics (rules), the art and graphic design (different editions), or the number of players supported. The updated ruleset on www.CatanFusion.com is designed to improve compatibility between various parts of the Catan game universe by addressing differences in the game mechanics.|
|Compatibility:||Noun. See dictionary entry above.|
What is Supported?
Here is a list of the games and expansions that the CatanFusion system supports. It's okay if you do not have everything on this list; it is just a guide:
- 5th Edition Settlers of Catan Base Game
- 5th Edition Settlers of Catan 5 & 6 Player Expansion
- 5th Edition Cities & Knights Base Game
- 5th Edition Cities & Knights 5 & 6 Player Expansion
- 5th Edition Traders & Barbarians Base Game
- 5th Edition Traders & Barbarians 5 & 6 Player Expansion
- 5th Edition Explorers & Pirates Base Game
- 5th Edition Explorers & Pirates 5 & 6 Player Expansion
- 5th Edition Seafarers Base Game
- 5th Edition Seafarers 5 & 6 Player Expansion
- 5th Edition Legend of the Sea Robbers Seafarers Scenario
- Catan Buch Storm Surge Variant
- Catan Frenemies Scenario
- Catan Helpers of Catan Scenario
- Catan Santa Claus Scenario
- Catan Oil Springs Scenario
- Unofficial Volcano Hex Variant
- Unofficial World Wonders Variant
- Unofficial Governments Variant
- Unofficial Longest Turn Award
- Unofficial Wooden Resource Tokens and other Playing Pieces
Jump to the previous article!
Jump to the next article!