This is placeholder Text!
Before you read this article, you will need to know the following terms and definitions:
|Game(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A standalone version of Settlers of Catan, which can be played right out of the box without making additional purchases. There is only one standalone (base) game of Catan.|
|Expansion(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. An Catan game that cannot be played by itself. It must be used in conjunction with a standalone (base) game. The 5 & 6-player expansions are a good example of this.|
|Scenario(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A small set of playing pieces and instructions that can be added to normal Catan gameplay. It cannot be played by itself--it must be used in conjunction with a standalone (base) game. The "Oil Springs" scenario is a good example of this.|
|Variant(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A set of instructions for using the pieces from a Catan game or expansion in a new way. Most variants are fan-generated and require printing and cutting out new pieces.|
Receive Initial Gold
- All players receive 5 gold (2 small coins and 1 large coin), in addition to any additional gold they gained from constructing a building adjacent to a gold field hex or river hex.
Receive Initial Victory Points
- All players receive 3 Victory Point Chits (see Victory Point Chit Rules), representing the 3 Victory Points they start with. One Victory Point Chit is for their settlement (the Mill), and the other two Victory Points Chits are for their town.
Select Initial Helper of Catan
- You get your first Helper of Catan at the end of initial set-up. All players, starting with the last one to place his town and proceeding clockwise, must take the Helper from the top of the stack next to the board. They may only pick one helper, and they may not pick any one they choose. They may not pick a Helper from the display—only from the top of the stack of numbered Helpers.
- Each player places their Helper of Catan in their wooden board, with the “A” side facing them. The “B” side must be visible to all other players.
- Once all players have their helper, add any remaining helpers (in the stack) to the “A” side up display beside the board.
- Players may not select a Friend card.
Jump to the previous article!
Jump to the next article!