This is placeholder Text!
Before you read this article, you will need to know the following terms and definitions:
|Game(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A standalone version of Settlers of Catan, which can be played right out of the box without making additional purchases. There is only one standalone (base) game of Catan.|
|Expansion(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. An Catan game that cannot be played by itself. It must be used in conjunction with a standalone (base) game. The 5 & 6-player expansions are a good example of this.|
|Scenario(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A small set of playing pieces and instructions that can be added to normal Catan gameplay. It cannot be played by itself--it must be used in conjunction with a standalone (base) game. The "Oil Springs" scenario is a good example of this.|
|Variant(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A set of instructions for using the pieces from a Catan game or expansion in a new way. Most variants are fan-generated and require printing and cutting out new pieces.|
Order of a Turn
Because this version of Catan has so many strategic options you have, each player’s turn can quickly become quite lengthy and complicated. The order of a player’s turn is as follows:
- Acknowledge Beginning of New Turn
- Start Stopwatch
- Exchange or Keep Helper of Catan
- Turn Over Top Event Card
- Resolve Event Card Action (if applicable)
- Resolve Event Card Event Die
- Resolve Event Card Production Number
- Trade and Purchase
- Move Wagons and Military Forces (resolving only mild conflict)
- Move, Load and Unload Ships
- Resolve Military Conflict (resolving only major conflict)
- Acknowledge End of Current Turn
- Stop Stopwatch
- Check for and Present Awards (if applicable)
- Conduct Special Purchases
Exceptions to a Turn
This is very straightforward. If any part of a turn does not apply, skip it. For example, if there are no wagons or military forces on the board, skip moving them. If no military conflicts exist, skip resolving them. If no new players qualify for an award at the end of a turn, skip presenting awards.
Jump to the previous article!
Jump to the next article!