This is a Placeholder
Before you read this article, you will need to know the following terms and definitions:
|Coin (-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. Dissambiguation: Refers to either a commodity card or a cash value of a gold piece.|
|Gold Piece:(-es):||Noun. Singular or Plural. Small, round golden cardboard tokens of two different sizes representing cash values called "coin".|
|Scenario(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A small set of playing pieces and instructions that can be added to normal Catan gameplay. It cannot be played by itself--it must be used in conjunction with a standalone (base) game. The "Oil Springs" scenario is a good example of this.|
|Variant(-s):||Noun. Singular or Plural. A set of instructions for using the pieces from a Catan game or expansion in a new way. Most variants are fan-generated and require printing and cutting out new pieces.|
While some settlers have totally committed themselves to fishing, others are settling near the rivers and streams of Catan. These waters are proving to be the true lifelines of the islands. Some of the rivers glisten with gold—no wonder that soon roads are appearing along the rivers, and mighty bridges are crossing the water. Everyone wants to be the wealthiest settler of the island. But if often happens that, while one gets rich, many others get poor. How will you fare?
There are several different types of Gold hexes:
- River Swamp
- Pirate Lair (explained elsewhere)
- Mountain Spring
- Volcano (discussed elsewhere)
Gold hexes (including the ones at the ends of the rivers Is a river hex a gold hex?) produce Gold pieces. During production, a building will produce gold. The same type of coins are harvested at Volcanos, Pirate Fortresses, and Gold Springs.
- When a player draws resources for a gold hex, he gains 2 gold coins with a settlement, and 4 gold coins with a city on that hex.
- Rumors have been spreading that gold prospectors have discovered this valuable mineral on some of the islands around Catan! Gold is highly appreciated in Catan. Ships are fitted out, and soon Catanian ships set sail to find the gold of the islands. This gold rush can provide many opportunities to the clever player who is able to take advantage of it!
- The Gold hexes represent regions rich in gold nuggets. Gold itself cannot be used to purchase any game pieces, so there are no gold cards in the game. Gold, however, is a very valuable medium of exchange. Whenever the number on a gold hex is revealed, players collect a number of gold coins, corresponding to the level of buildings on the surrounding intersections.
Jump to the previous article!
Jump to the next article!